Monday, April 18, 2011

Postcard #1: Backstage



Let me just say, it’s fun to create a profile for a stranger at an airport. You can imagine who they are, where they’re going and who they left behind. You wonder who their parents are, if they have any kids, or siblings. What jobs they have, and if they like waking up every morning because of it. Suddenly they don’t seem so unidentifiable.
Something that’s been circulating around about my trip to LA is that it’s my “dream vacation”, and I must have been counting down the days. But, I don’t see it that way. Yes, was excited – I couldn’t wait to leave. But I wouldn’t label it as a dream vacation, it’s too Disney. This is not an once-in-a-lifetime trip to Los Angeles, but it may seem that way if I call it a dream.
So I leave LRDC workouts, Canada, and my siblings behind as I tackle Hollywood for one week. I’ll keep everyone informed – so check in for news about my travels, neat photos, and updates on how I’m “running” in a foreign land.
Yesterday we visited Universal Studios. It reminds me a lot of Disneyworld… lots of photo opportunities, tourist souvenir shops, and roller coasters. I mostly enjoyed the studio tour; I had no idea what the sets were actually like. The building may seem like brick; however they’re mostly Styrofoam, fibre glass and wood!
We also checked out a cute, used clothing store called It’s A Wrap. It’s filled with hundreds of clothing items from the sets of movies and television series that either didn’t use them because they didn’t work out or they were costume doubles, or they’re ones the actors actually wore. It was the tail end of a sale so everything was kind of picked over, but we managed to find a few items we really liked.
We also walked down the walk of fame while looking for a corner store that would sell milk. I’ve only seen a portion of it now, but so far ones I’ve seen include Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Kermit the Frog, Walt Disney, Destiny’s Child and, more.
Wish you were here!


Pictures above: Universal Studios enterance, Jaws, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and the front and back of some generic buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment