1. on or toward the back of the stage.
2. of, pertaining to, or located at the back of the stage.
3. haughtily aloof; supercilious.
–verb (used with object)
4. to overshadow (another performer) by moving upstage and forcing the performer to turn away from the audience.
5. to outdo professionally, socially, etc.
6. to behave snobbishly toward.
7. the rear half of the stage.
8. any stage position to the rear of another.
There are times when the heroes are upstaged by those they assist. When the actor takes a bow and acknowledges the orchestra and technician while the stage manager packs up their station backstage. When a struggling student suddenly gets their act together and finishes the school year with As and Bs, meanwhile the teacher misses some lunch periods or puts in extra hours on their own time to answer questions and review. They are the hidden heroes.