Sunday, February 6, 2011

ZZZ

     I’ve done my fair share of sleeping the past couple of weeks. This month I’ve been prepping for and writing exams, training and rehearsing non-stop; my head has certainly been hitting the pillow hard. However, I had no idea that I was also falling asleep at the wheel.
     It’s seemed this winter (and winter’s past) my training seems to kick into a mild hibernation for the season. It’s not exactly where it needs to be, and I’m certainly not as focused as I am throughout the spring, summer and fall. I’ve been “asleep at the wheel” so to speak. However setting the time of year aside, I’ve been especially “asleep” this winter. My days can be so hectic, that as soon as things slow down my mind goes on vacation. Now I’m kicking myself back in to high gear.
     As I mentioned above, I had been rehearsing furiously with my cast and crew for our production which opened this weekend here in London. It’s been a delight working with everyone, and I learn and continue to grow every step of the way. However, I’ve done my fair share of sleeping in this portion of my life as well… but in a very literal sense.
     It’s a Murdoch murder mystery – set in Huntsville, 1895. A handful of colourful characters find themselves stuck together at the Inn against their wishes, partially because they’re snowed in and partially because they can not leave the scene of the crime after one of them is murdered for reasons unknown.
     During the performance, my character is absent during the last act (although I will not expose the reasoning behind it, as some may object to a spoiler). I have a decent chunk of time to kill with homework, reading, etc before entering the stage again for curtain call. During Thursday’s public dress rehearsal, I happened to doze off. Luckily I was awoken before we had to rush onstage to take our bows! It turns out that resting your head on the coat lying across a stack of chairs next to you can be quite comfortable.
     Everyone gets lazy, but it’s time for me to wake up. Perhaps I require a little chaos and craziness to keep me alert and on my toes… and to prevent myself from sleeping at the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment