Friday, September 24, 2010

Milk

I called my brother back as soon as I saw my missed calls and unanswered texts. I was told my agent had called about an audition I had the next day. About a half hour later at home, I was brought up to speed and spent the remainder of the night scrambling for clothes to wear to the audition. Luckily for me, the requirements listed that you to wear athletic clothing, so finding the correct wardrobe wasn’t that difficult. My agent mentioned it was for a milk commercial, and that the audition would be improvisational.
I actually had butterflies on the drive down to Toronto, and being that nervous before an audition was unusual for me. However, as soon as I stepped into the waiting room my professionalism took over and I signed in at the front desk.
            The waiting room looked like a subway station- I’m not kidding. Complete with different coloured arrows, metal poles and sectioned seating. I noticed a bulletin board on one of the walls, and like dozens of other kids I stood up and headed over to read what it said. It was basically what my agent had told me; it listed what each audition would be like for different age groups as well as a description of the commercial. I always like to be well prepared for any audition, so I quickly memorized what it had to say. I saw some lines, so I learned them as fast as I could. Here’s what they were:

VO:  Fact. Milk contains protein, which helps build and repair body tissue, like muscles.
VO: Fiction. This benefit is exponentially greater in cats.

I figured I’d be required to say these lines in the audition. When my name was finally called, I remember thinking that the crowd behind the table could probably smell my fear. It’s stressful to have several critical people watching you- your audition begins the moments you step into the room.
I listened closely as they explained how I was to mime the situation. I was to mime that I had just returned from a tennis match, and was pouring myself a glass of milk. My cat (which was a stuffed monkey placed at my feet) then rubs my legs, so I pour him a bowl of milk. I then watch as my “cat” grows Hulk-like and destroys my kitchen.
When they were finished explaining, they asked me if I had any questions. I really only had one: when do I say my lines? This was their reaction:

Them: You… have no lines.
Me: I thought I read some in the scene description.
Them: I see. “VO” means voice over.
Me: Oh…

            I thought then and there that I had blown my chance. I had basically told them that I knew nothing about the business. But as both actors and runners understand, it really isn’t over until it’s over (thanks, Yogi B!).
            So they filmed me going through the motions, and afterwards a lady asked me to reshoot the scene. I looked to “ballet” in my movements. So I shot the scene all over again and this time tried to look as natural as possible. I thought I’d get nothing out of the audition besides a learning experience.
Turns out I was wrong. The following Wednesday I was called back (and of course it was for the next day- again). The call back was almost identical to the audition, except this time we auditioned two at a time as “friends” returning from a tennis match.
After the scene, we were both given one more task. We faced the camera and were told that our “friend” was behind it. We were to sing him happy birthday, and then watch in horror as he melted away. Weird, eh? But we filmed it and were sent on our way. It was strange, but hey- it was a milk commercial!
Once again, I left thinking I would hear nothing from them. But I was presented to the Prairie Milk board that weekend and landed the commercial! I filmed it the next Saturday; the whole audition/call back/filming process took only three weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment